The primary benefit of water is hydration. Water helps in homeostasis and the proper functioning of human organs. In the present day world, our water-drinking quantity has dwindled, and water quality has also been deteriorated due to the presence of pollutants and aging infrastructure. In this scenario, a Reverse Osmosis (RO) system provides us with pure water for drinking, cooking, and washing eatables. There is some criticism on the functioning of RO systems, which is somewhat baseless and can be answered with solid arguments.
In this article, we will explain the benefits of drinking RO water.
Before we start, you should see this: How Does Reverse Osmosis System Work?
Benefits of Drinking RO Water
RO water has the same quality as bottled drinking water. It is free from contaminants such as chlorine, VOCs, heavy metals, and harmful minerals.
1. Sodium Removal: RO water filters can remove sodium from water; sodium is harmful to your health. It can raise your blood pressure, impact the working of kidneys, liver, and heart when it is consumed in large quantities. Only RO systems can remove sodium up to 99 percent.
2. Lead Removal: RO systems are perfect at removing lead as well. High quantities of lead in your water or diet can cause high blood pressure, fertility problems, nerve problems, and other health issues. RO filtered water is free from lead and thus is excellent for your health.
3. Digestion Benefits: RO water is free from water parasites. Water parasites are not filtered from ordinary water filtration systems. They can get into the digestive tract and can cause infections leading to vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pain.
4. Odor-Free: RO membrane is designed to remove all the odor-causing agents from your water like sulfur, iron, and lead bacteria. You will not be irritated by any stinking smell in your water and enjoy drinking it.
5. Chlorine Free: Chlorine is used to treat water at distribution centers. Excessive chlorine is harmful to your health, and it also has a pungent odor and taste. RO systems ensure that all the chlorine is filtered from the water, and you get 99 percent pure water.
6. Cooking Benefits: Water obtained from RO Systems is better for cooking. It is healthy and does not contain any harmful contaminants. Tap water has chlorine and a lot of other impurities in it, and they destroy the taste of your food. Once you start using RO water for cooking and beverage purposes, you will love eating at home. RO water is excellent for making coffee as well.
7. Better Taste: The taste of water from RO is just like pure water. The reason is simple; it does not contain any impurities, so you will get to taste pure water. The taste may feel a little awkward at first, but once you start drinking it and get used to it, you will love it.
8. Crystal Clear Ice Cubes: Ice cubes from tap water are cloudy and not clear. They are not frozen using pure water. When you make ice cubes from RO water, they will be crystal clear and free from any clouding or coloring.
Other Benefits of RO Systems
9. No More Bottled Water: RO water is of the same quality as bottled water. You will no longer feel the need to buy bottled water, plus you will also be saving the environment from plastic waste. Bottled water is also expensive as compared to water from RO. On the contrary, the RO system is very economical, and the per-gallon cost of water is just in cents.
10. Less Space: A reverse osmosis system occupies very little space and can easily be adjusted in the cabinet under your sink.
11. Easy installation and Maintenance: Most of the RO systems can be installed easily without the help of any professional plumber. Maintenance is easy, and replacing filters is just a couple of minutes’ task with a simple twist and replace motion. RO systems have a soundless working.
12. Economical: A RO system is very economical in the long run. It consumes very little energy, and the per-gallon cost is very minimal.
The critics argue that RO water does not have the necessary minerals in the water as it is the most purified water, and all the elements other than H2O are removed from the water. The minerals present in the water are in very fewer proportions; these minerals are present in the food and can be taken from there. For more conscious people, mineral supplements are the best solution to complete.
The second argument is the wastage; yes we agree that water is wasted in an RO system. The companies are working to reduce the wastage as much as possible and have designed systems that waste as low as 3 gallons of water while purifying one gallon of water.
As far as environmental conservation is concerned, you are doing good for the environment by not using plastic bottles. The spread of plastic is equally harmful to the environment.
Some people are also of the view that the water from RO systems is acidic. Yes, the water is acidic, but it is not too acidic to be harmful to your health. Secondly, the human body can neutralize the water, which comes in contact with it. When you drink water, its pH is automatically returned to the desired level of the body.
The benefits outnumber the criticism of RO systems. RO systems can yield very positive impacts on your health and reduce spending on bottled water. It is easy to operate as compared to other systems.