All of us are aware of the benefits of staying hydrated, but very few of us know that adding a little alkalinity to your drinking water can make it very beneficial for our health. Today, we are going to discuss everything about alkaline water, how to make alkaline water at home, its benefits, and what could be some of its disadvantages.
The disadvantages only occur when you drink excessive alkaline water. It is a universal truth that excess of everything is bad; even drinking plain water than your body needs can cause some negative impacts on your health.
Alkaline water has a pH slightly higher than 7, so when we say increasing the pH, it means we are talking about making your water alkaline.
Ways to Make Alkaline Water
You can use the following ways to make your water alkaline and enjoy various health benefits associated with it
- Water Ionizers: The most effective way to make your water alkaline is by using a water ionizer. A water ionizer is an electric machine that increases the pH of your drinking water. It operates just like a alkaline water filter and is attached to your kitchen faucet for drinking purposes. The ionizer works by using electric power to do electrolysis of your water and separates the acidic and alkaline components of the water. It allows you to adjust the pH of your water. The machine may be a bit heavy on your budget, but once installed, it will provide economic alkaline water. If you can afford it, well and good, otherwise you can use the other methods listed below.
- Ionized Water Filters: These filters are easily available online and at your nearby superstores. They are cheaper as compared to ionizing water machines. They work by adding certain minerals to your water and raising the pH. You need to replace their filters after a specific time. The replacement frequency depends on the gallons of water filtered and the acidity of your water supply. You can use water filtration systems or alkaline filter pitchers.
- Baking Soda: Another inexpensive way to increase the pH of your water and make it alkaline is to add a little baking soda to your drinking water. Half tablespoon of baking soda in 1 gallon of water will do the needful and raise the pH of your water.
- pH Drops:You can also add pH drops to your water. pH drops are readily available at stores nearby and raise the alkalinity of your water source.
- Lemon Juice: We all know that lemon juice is acidic, and adding it to your water increases its acidity. On the contrary, when you drink this water, your system reacts in the same way as if you were drinking actual alkaline water.
Benefits of Drinking Alkaline Water
A study* published by Biomedcentral outlined the different impacts of drinking alkaline water on healthy adults. Alkaline water has the following benefits for your health.
- Hydration: Just like drinking plain water, alkaline water has the most important benefit of keeping your body hydrated. When you are hydrated, your body functions at the optimum level and ensure that all your vital organs are well supplied with water.
- Skin and Hair Benefits: Drinking alkaline water gives you better and glowing skin. It restores the natural feel to your skin and brings shine to it. A little alkalinity in your drinking water also makes your hair grow fast and reduce dandruff.
- Weight Loss: If you are planning to shed some pounds from your body, alkaline water can be a friend to your cause. It helps in digestion and improves the metabolic rate of your body.
- Anti-aging: Alkaline water has anti-aging properties. It works the same way as an anti-aging cream. You can save a handsome amount of money by not buying anti-aging creams.
- Digestion: Alkaline water helps in digestion and softens your stool. It is a beneficial solution to constipation problems.
- Cancer Prevention: Research is still going on this benefit of alkaline water. Alkaline water kills free radicals in your body, which may become a cause of cancer.
- Detoxification: Alkaline water is an excellent source to get your blood detoxified. Detoxification is caused by a buildup of acidic toxins in the body. Alkaline water gets rid of these toxins. Alkaline water also helps in balancing out the pH of your blood.
- Immunity Boost: Alkaline water is also said to help in increasing your body’s primary defense against harmful foreign particles. It does this by balancing out the pH of your immune system.
Side Effects of Alkaline Water
Drinking excessive alkaline water can also cause some problems. These are listed below
- Indigestion: Don’t be confused by reading this as a side effect and a benefit as well. Drinking excessive alkaline water can mess up your stomach acids, and certain enzymes can stop working. It can then lead to digestion problems. You may feel constipation, loose motions, or vomiting. If you feel any digestion problems after you started drinking alkaline water, reduce its quantity, or give it up and consult your doctor.
- Muscle Pain: Excess of alkaline water can disrupt your body’s pH levels. It can cause muscle pain, tiredness, and body pains as well.
- Skin and Hair Problems: Too much alkaline water can also cause problems for your skin and hair.
Drinking alkaline water is generally safe. However, if you are pregnant, suffering from any severe disease, or are currently on medication, you must consult your doctor before drinking alkaline water.
Lorraine Cruz says
Is it true, puting slices of lemon or even cucumbers will add alakline to your water?
When you add lemon slices in pure water, it becomes acidic. When you drink this water, your body
reacts in the same way as you were drinking actual alkaline water. You can avail of all the benefits in the
same way as you were drinking alkaline water.
Cucumber is very beneficial for your health. When you add it into pure water, it raises the pH of the
water and gives it alkalinity. Cucumber-water acts as a natural detoxification agent and helps in
cleansing your blood and getting rid of free radicals.